Maintaining Our Relationships - Study 4/12/12

Maintaining Our Relationships

As we continue our study of Paul’s Second Letter, we see consistent theme of the message of reconciliation. It seems that most of life is lived to understand others and to be understood by others. This is how we are able to bear with one another and to maintain our relationships.

In today’s study, Paul’s goal is to clear up “old unfinished business” that could impede his relationships with the Corinthians. We all have some “old unfinished business” to deal with. Paul had written the Corinthians a Letter which challenged and caused them to be “sorrowful” because it touched on some serious issues of divisions/quarrels and un-Christ-like characters. We do not know for sure whether the letter is what we now have as First Corinthians or another subsequent letter before what we now have as Second Corinthians. Regardless of which, Paul continues to plead, “Make room for us in your hearts. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have exploited no one, I do not say this to condemn you ...Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it…but because your sorrow led you to repentance” (2 Corinthians 7: 2, 3, 8, and 9).

We have looked at how God reconciled us to Himself by “not counting our sins against us”. I believe that the act of reconciliation is not a one-time all but nothing deal. If it were so, we would not have any chance with God who has continued to woe us and extend His grace timeless of times to us. I believe we must approach our dealings with people in the same manner. We are not to give up after the first try in our relationships. Paul did not give up on the Corinthians but worked hard to maintain the relationship.

We must be reconciled to God by believing in “His Son Solution” for penalty for our sins and for salvation. As a result and as believers in Christ we must not thrive in quarrels, animosity, unforgiveness and silent hatred of others”.

Silence and stuffing is not the biblical way of living and relating to people. If your brother/sister sins against you; in love, call him/her to it as Jesus would instruct us. Let’s not die in silence instead bring issues to the open so they can be dealt with. We all can improve on this. Others need to hear us express how we feel. “I do not say this to condemn you” (vs.3) as Paul expressed his love to the Corinthians. Let’s not condemn but build, maintain and strengthen each other in our relationships. That is what Paul did in this passage. He conversed, wrote, sent a messenger and communicated. Will you give someone and me another chance? Please!

2 Corinthians 7: 2-16

2 Make room for us in your hearts. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have exploited no one. 3 I do not say this to condemn you; I have said before that you have such a place in our hearts that we would live or die with you. 4 I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.
5 For when we came into Macedonia, this body of ours had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn—conflicts on the outside, fears within. 6 But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, 7 and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever.

8 Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while— 9 yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. 10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.
11 See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter. 12 So even though I wrote to you, it was not on account of the one who did the wrong or of the injured party, but rather that before God you could see for yourselves how devoted to us you are. 13 By all this we are encouraged.

In addition to our own encouragement, we were especially delighted to see how happy Titus was, because his spirit has been refreshed by all of you. 14 I had boasted to him about you, and you have not embarrassed me. But just as everything we said to you was true, so our boasting about you to Titus has proved to be true as well. 15 And his affection for you is all the greater when he remembers that you were all obedient, receiving him with fear and trembling. 16 I am glad I can have complete confidence in you.

Here are my observations in addition to the ones you may have:

1. While in Macedonia, Paul like a genuine “father” and friend was concerned and had sent Titus to check up on the Corinthians. Titus had brought good report about them to Paul. “But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, 7 and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever” vs. 6-7. We often worry about how others are doing and a lot of times all we needed to do is send them text, email or phone call to stop our worries. This is the process of sharing life together and that is what the Church is all about – genuine care and concern for others welfare.

2. Paul was in a sense depressed (downcast) in this relationship with the Corinthians before Titus brought the report. Our God comforts the downcast. He will also comfort us while we look to him and not to our situation. Often we only look at the situation and get more depressed because of fear and uncertainties. God is our source in any relationship and He is the source of joy. He alone can work on the other parties as God did for Paul among the Corinthians. The Corinthians have now brought Paul joy and encouragement.

3. There is godly sorrow that brings repentance. Paul says there is also sorrow that does not lead to repentance. “But worldly sorrow brings death”. What are the differences? Worldly sorrow is remorse and sorry because I got caught in the act like Judas. But godly sorrow is genuine sorry for the action and hurt and pain inflicted on the other party and then ceasing from doing that which caused the pain on the other.

4. I believe we achieve godly sorrow that lead to repentance when we confront and approach people in love about what they are doing. It is a kind of tough love that we must speaks in truth. Take a good review and read the first Letter to the Corinthians. It was tough and bold. “Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while— 9 yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us” vs.8-9. Are you a recipient of godly rebuke today? Let’s receive it with repentance. Are you in a position to give one, let’s do it in love and not sugar coat it.

Let’s not sit around and make assumptions about and judgments on people we relate to. Let us communicate and we will be surprised like Paul to see that change is going on and our hearts will rejoice.

Who do you need to speak with today? “Make room for us in your hearts” vs.2. Who do you need to make room for today? Even Paul struggled in relationships like us. “We were harassed at every turn—conflicts on the outside, fears within” vs.5. We must go beyond our fears to relate. In essence, the same way we relate to God by faith is how we should approach each other by faith trusting that God will work out all the details.

The only real and true joy comes from our relationship with God. But it is put into reality by our relationship with people when we care and love them. “If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?”(1 John 4:20). Paul was willing even to die for the Corinthians “I have said before that you have such a place in our hearts that we would live or die with you” vs.3. Can we say that to any one?

Lord, thank you for the example of what it means to love and care for others because you did it for me on the cross. Forgive me for the times I have been nonchalant in my relationships because of fear. Help me Lord to go beyond myself to love and risk being loved. Help me Lord to die daily to self so that I will have room for others in my life. Thank you Lord for those who have spoken truth in love to me; help me to do the same for others. Help me to go all the way to godly sorrow that will produce change and a changed life in me. Amen.

Please don’t leave me to myself. Please don’t “condemn” me because Christ has not. Speak the truth to me in love and pray for me. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!