I want you not your possessions - Study 5/31/12

I want you not your possessions

Most of us would like to be friends to the wealthy and famous. It is just natural and in fact Proverbs speaks about it. “20 The poor are shunned even by their neighbors, but the rich have many friends”. (Proverbs 14:20). The implication is that the rich have something that we want and hope that their wealth and connections will rob off to benefit us. This is the heart of the natural man/woman who walks after the fleshly human selfish thinking.

The Corinthian Church was apparently well-to-do compared to other churches in that region. Corinth was a major commerce city so I would guess that some of the members of the Church flowed in money though there still some poor in their midst (see 1 Cor. 11: 20-21). Now we have a better understanding while these false “super apostles” flocked to Corinth to get their piece of the pie from the Church. Apostle Paul would have nothing to do with the wealth of the Corinthians. He said, “14 Now I am coming to you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you. I don’t want what you have—I want you” (2 Corinthians 12:14). Paul wants the Corinthians to make it to heaven even at his own expense. Is heaven your wish for all you relate to? People are more important than what they have and possess.

This principle really changes how we relate to people and should change how we choose our friends. Why do you want to know that person you want to meet? What do they have that you want? These days, we call it “networking”. Can we take Paul’s approach and posture? “Everything we do, dear friends, is to strengthen you” (vs.19). Is this your position in relating, in ministry, in serving and in friendships? Who are you strengthening towards repentance and walking in the Spirit instead of the flesh (sinful nature)?

All of us need encouragement and strengthening to live right for God. Can you do that today for someone and not shame the person in the process? Like Paul, are you and I grieved by our brother/sister’s sin? Paul said, “And I will be grieved because many of you have not given up your old sins. You have not repented of your impurity, sexual immorality, and eagerness for lustful pleasure” vs.21. May God help us to repent in Jesus name. Amen.

2 Corinthians 12: 11-21 (NLT)

11 You have made me act like a fool—boasting like this.[c] You ought to be writing commendations for me, for I am not at all inferior to these “super apostles,” even though I am nothing at all. 12 When I was with you, I certainly gave you proof that I am an apostle. For I patiently did many signs and wonders and miracles among you. 13 The only thing I failed to do, which I do in the other churches, was to become a financial burden to you. Please forgive me for this wrong!

14 Now I am coming to you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you. I don’t want what you have—I want you. After all, children don’t provide for their parents. Rather, parents provide for their children. 15 I will gladly spend myself and all I have for you, even though it seems that the more I love you, the less you love me.
16 Some of you admit I was not a burden to you. But others still think I was sneaky and took advantage of you by trickery. 17 But how? Did any of the men I sent to you take advantage of you? 18 When I urged Titus to visit you and sent our other brother with him, did Titus take advantage of you? No! For we have the same spirit and walk in each other’s steps, doing things the same way.

19 Perhaps you think we’re saying these things just to defend ourselves. No, we tell you this as Christ’s servants, and with God as our witness. Everything we do, dear friends, is to strengthen you. 20 For I am afraid that when I come I won’t like what I find, and you won’t like my response. I am afraid that I will find quarreling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, slander, gossip, arrogance, and disorderly behavior. 21 Yes, I am afraid that when I come again, God will humble me in your presence. And I will be grieved because many of you have not given up your old sins. You have not repented of your impurity, sexual immorality, and eagerness for lustful pleasure.

Here are my observations in addition to the ones you may have:

1. Paul now raps up his defense against the “super apostles”. He again apologizes for engaging in the foolish boasting that made him look like a fool by talking about his accomplishments. He told the Corinthians he would rather boast about his weaknesses because that is where God’s power and presence resides. He still considers himself “nothing” apart from Christ. You ought to be writing commendations for me, for I am not at all inferior to these “super apostles,” even though I am nothing at all” vs.11.

2. Do you Corinthians want proof of my apostleship? Yes I have proof. “12 When I was with you, I certainly gave you proof that I am an apostle. For I patiently did many signs and wonders and miracles among you”. God used Paul to perform signs and wonders and miracles. If you are in doubt go read the book of Acts. He certainly has the credential to answer an apostle. These days some are answering apostles and they can’t even raise a sick chicken. Paul does not brag about his signs and wonders but rather about his weaknesses. The false super apostles are the ones brandishing their so called “exploits” for God so they can take advantage of the Corinthians. Let’s be on the lookout for those who would want to sell their signs and wonders to us and the body of Christ. There are many these days.

3. Apostle Paul would not sell the gospel of Christ. The Corinthians did not place a proper value on Paul because he charged them nothing to bring the gospel to them. “13 The only thing I failed to do, which I do in the other churches, was to become a financial burden to you. Please forgive me for this wrong”! vs.13. The other churches provided for Paul but in Corinth he did not want them to provide for him. Is it because they were too rich or too poor?

4. Paul answers the above question “Now I am coming to you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you. I don’t want what you have—I want you” vs.14. Paul does not want the Corinthian’s possession or them paying for his bills. The Corinthians apparently could afford it and it is evidenced by the false apostles who were taking advantage of the Corinthians. Their souls were more important to Paul than their wealth and riches. Do we value that in others? Or are we only interested in what we can get now from people?

5. What Paul really wants for the Corinthians is for them to walk right in their new relationship with Christ. He has already stated that he wants to present them as a “chaste virgin” to Christ (see 2 Cor. 11:1). He expressed his fear to this goal. “I am afraid that I will find quarreling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, slander, gossip, arrogance, and disorderly behavior. 21 Yes, I am afraid that when I come again, God will humble me in your presence. And I will be grieved because many of you have not given up your old sins. You have not repented of your impurity, sexual immorality, and eagerness for lustful pleasure” vs. 20-21. The sinful practices of a brother or sister should cause us grieve and not rejoicing. May God help us to encourage one another towards living right for the glory of God.

6. The key word here is “repented”. We must repent of our sins when we become aware of them and/or called to it by a brother/sister in Christ. “ 8 If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. 9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts” (1 John 1:8-10). Let’s not wait till it is too late and our sin becomes a life style and a stronghold of Satan. Tomorrow is too late for repentance. Today is the day of repentance and salvation.

What do you have that someone else wants? What does someone else have that you want? It is time for the motive check-up. Our friends are not there to be used, abused and discarded once we attain our aspired goals. We must constantly ask, “What value can I add to this person I am relating to?” Answering this question will help clarify our motives. We are also not there to shame people but to help them come to true repentance and walk right with God just as Paul did for the Corinthians.

Can you and I change our approach to friendships and to relating to people? The old method of control and manipulation is no longer acceptable. It is also not acceptable to say nothing to a brother/sister to change his/her sinful ways just because we want to be nice and politically correct. This is not the love of Christ but the wisdom of this age of postmodernism.

Father, I confess the many times I have had mixed ulterior motives in my relationships. The times that all I have thought about is what I can get from this or that person. Lord, forgive me of this sin and help me to be a helping hand to others in the knowledge of you. Lord, like the Corinthians, help me to repent and walk right from any “old sins” of impurity, sexual immorality, lustful pleasures, quarreling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorderly behavior. Lord, grant me your grace and power to overcome. Continue your work of salvation and sanctification in me until I see you face to face. Lord, help me I pray. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!