Love One Another - Study 7/16/13

Love One Another

The Trayvon Martin murder trial and the not guilty verdict of George Zimmerman is on our minds, so we might as well talk about it. It is clearly a tragedy because Trayvon is dead and two parents and loved ones are grieving. Lord, may you continue to comfort the Martin family and use this event to draw them closest to you. You may have your opinions about the verdict and I have mine too. My verdict is that we are in a fallen world and there is evil and evil people, and hatred and all of these are engineered by no other than the devil himself. Satan is the real enemy (not people) and we should hate him and his works with the greatest passion.

This brings us to what Jesus wants and desires for us. But before that may I remind us that the hours of Sunday 8AM – 2PM are the most segregated hours of the week in the United States. It ought not to be so. Before we celebrate on one hand or pointing accusing fingers to the world’s justice system, we the Church should look inward and also ask why are we still so segregated if we are serving the same Jesus and have One Father, One Lord and same Holy Spirit?

This is what Jesus said to his disciples and us. “34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35.
Jesus said this to his disciples after He had demonstrated his perfect love to them by washing their feet (including the feet of Judas who betrayed Jesus). Prior to this the disciples were all claiming superiority and who was first. Jesus humbled them and showed that the superior one is the servant of all.

Jesus calls this a “new” commandment. The new here is more like “different” or “fresh”. There has always been the command to love your neighbor as yourself. If I love you as I love myself, I will treat you the same way I want to be treated. But if I love you in this “new” way, I will prefer you and seek what will benefit you even in the absence of my not receiving what is due me. This is a superior love and the love demonstrated on the cross for us by Jesus. He did not have any sin so if he loved us as himself, He would not have gone to the cross because he was innocent. However he loved us beyond self and died on our behalf for our sins. This is the greatest gift that God so loved the world He gave us Jesus.

Is George Zimmerman innocent of murder? Not really and the jurors did not declare him innocent rather they found him not guilty of manslaughter or second degree murder. Let’s keep in mind that according to the law, you only need a reasonable doubt to be found not guilty but not innocent. Are my innocent? Not really. Are you innocent? Not really. Is Jesus innocent of all charges? Yes, Yes and yes forever. Jesus took our sins that we may be made righteous. You and I are murders that deserve death but Jesus took our place. We are all guilty and need a savior. No exceptions for all have sinned.
Lord, we pray for George Zimmerman (any other who does not know you) that you will have mercy on him and open his eyes to see you to turn to you for salvation. Lord, help us to love one another – Black, White, Ibo, Hausa, Hispanic, Chines, Russian, etc. Hatred and name calling is not the solution.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor[g] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,[h] 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren[i] only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors[j] do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect. Mathew 5:43-48

Jesus said to His disciples and to us, “17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them” John 13. Lord help me to love others as you have loved me and died for me to take away all my sins. Thank you for my helper, your Holy Spirit that empowers me to do. Amen.

Love of one another is the only evidence that we belong to Jesus. Let’s keep it always in mind.

John 13: 1-35
Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.

2 And supper being ended,[a] the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray Him, 3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, 4 rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. 5 After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. 6 Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, “Lord, are You washing my feet?”

7 Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.” 8 Peter said to Him, “You shall never wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.” 9 Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!”
10 Jesus said to him, “He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you.” 11 For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, “You are not all clean.”

12 So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? 13 You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. 16 Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

18 “I do not speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; but that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats bread with Me[b] has lifted up his heel against Me.’[c] 19 Now I tell you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe that I am He. 20 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.”

21 When Jesus had said these things, He was troubled in spirit, and testified and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me.” 22 Then the disciples looked at one another, perplexed about whom He spoke.
23 Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved. 24 Simon Peter therefore motioned to him to ask who it was of whom He spoke. 25 Then, leaning back[d] on Jesus’ breast, he said to Him, “Lord, who is it?”

26 Jesus answered, “It is he to whom I shall give a piece of bread when I have dipped it.” And having dipped the bread, He gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. 27 Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him. Then Jesus said to him, “What you do, do quickly.” 28 But no one at the table knew for what reason He said this to him. 29 For some thought, because Judas had the money box, that Jesus had said to him, “Buy those things we need for the feast,” or that he should give something to the poor.

30 Having received the piece of bread, he then went out immediately. And it was night. 31 So, when he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him. 32 If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and glorify Him immediately. 33 Little children, I shall be with you a little while longer. You will seek Me; and as I said to the Jews, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come,’ so now I say to you. 34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

This was a difficult time for Jesus. To eat with the one who will eventually betray you and you fully know it. There is no betrayal you and I can experience in this world that can compare to this. Jesus is our example to endure the worst in life for the ultimate purpose to know God.

Notice Jesus’ words to Peter. “8 Peter said to Him, “You shall never wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me” vs. 8. No one will ever have a relationship with Jesus as Lord and Savior unless they are washed clean in the blood and Word (water) of Jesus. The one thing that would stop people is pride and trying to do it themselves. There is no self-help (do-it-yourself) into heaven. Do you have a relationship with the almighty God? If not Jesus is inviting you to be washed in His perfect blood and cleansed by His Word.

Comments

Unknown said…
This is the only post I have seen on the subject of the trial that has been balanced and true.

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!