"The World Hates You" - Study 8/5/13

“The World Hates You”

We spend most of our lives trying to convince everyone around us to like us. Hollywood, the Media, the Government, the Advertising world representing Commerce/Economy thrives on this fact. It sells and there are lots of money being made in this base desire of us - We want to be liked. Who doesn’t? I don’t want to be hated by anyone.

Sorry, my wish and expectation to be liked is contrary to the truth of the Word of God. The Truth Himself (Jesus) tells us that. Get over your popularity contest. Stop being shocked by people’s reactions. But Jesus is not saying this to everyone but only to those who are His. If you are not of His, you may likely have success in being liked by all.

Jesus explained this hard truth to His disciples during the final days and hours before leaving them behind as He proceeds to the Cross to die for their sins and our sins. What a moment of truth and candid conversation with the One who loved them the most. We need to have candid conversations with the ones we love even when it hurts their feelings and ego.

Jesus said to His disciples, “18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you” John 15:18-19. This is the cost of following Christ and the truth we don’t want to hear and accept; and as such, we waste our time and energy on the things that matter nothing.

Before saying this, Jesus had assured the disciples of His unconditional love for them. The world will hate you but know that I have loved you supremely. “9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love…13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you”. This is the buffer we as believers have in Christ - The love of God. When everything around us fails and there is real and apparent hatred of us by the world and all around us, Jesus says, know that I love you. His love never fails. Can you and I just marinate in His love and this understanding today?

If you and I will amount to anything and accomplish anything in life that will bring glorify to God, first we must be in Jesus and He in us. 5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing”. Apart from Christ we absolutely accomplish nothing. Note that Jesus and His Holy Spirit is the One bearing the fruit and not us so we do not get big heads and boast. It is all by His grace for He “chose” us.

Who is this “world” and why will the world hate us? First, they hated Jesus and crucified Him on the Cross so they will hate us. But the real reason is what Jesus explained to the disciples and to us. “A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me”. The “world” is everyone who does not know God and they are under the rule of Satan for Satan fuels the hatred. It therefore means that the moment you and I attempt to make God known to any person or live life that reflects the Spirit of God in us, we are sure candidates for the world’s hatred, disdain and persecution.

No wonder we are all playing it safe at least in the Western world. We don’t want to open our mouths to tell those around us the greatest news of the Gospels. We don’t want to offend anyone. We are afraid of being mocked and not liked. Jesus says, no, please “go” and tell knowing that they will hate you anyway. The Truth of the Gospel offends people’s self-righteousness/ego but leave the results to me.

Many believers are dying for their faith in Christ around the World. We are no exceptions. A couple of weeks ago, I opened my mouth to say to someone I met at the gym of the love of God. You should have seen the anger and rebuttal I received. Basically, he told me that “God is your truth”, meaning He is not for him. The message was please back off. That did not leave me with a good feeling but at least I know now for sure to expect that. Many of you have experienced more traumatic responses from people just because you love God and are expressing His love. Please let’s not be intimidated and let’s not stop loving people even when they show disdain for Christ. People are not really hating us but the Christ (the Truth) in us. Ignorance of God breeds hatred. Let’s have compassion because we used to be there.

Will you count the cost today and take up your cross to follow Jesus daily? Let’s make Jesus part of our everyday conversation with people and pray for them. We don’t need to knock on doors (only if you have to). We are already with people at our work places, the school, neighborhood, clubs, daycare, the market etc. Our message is simple. Jesus died on the cross for my sins and now I believe and trust in that act and I am made righteous forever with God. I now have an everlasting relationship with God and He loves me forever no matter what. Would you like to have the same and have no more guilt? This is the good news and you and I will be hated for it. Tell someone about the love of Jesus today. Will you?

Hey, before you run, let’s practice what Jesus said to we believers, “12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you”. The world will hate us but we should love our brothers and sisters in Christ. The world will know we belong to Christ by our love for one another. Let’s not receive hatred from two sides, the world and in the Church, the body of Christ. Show His love today. Will you and I? Yes we can by His grace. Lord help me today to live out this truths. Amen.

John 15: 9-27
9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.

17 These things I command you, that you love one another.
18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me.

22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 He who hates Me hates My Father also. 24 If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father. 25 But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law, ‘They hated Me without a cause.’[c]
26 “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me. 27 And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning.

Please Note why we must tell the world about Jesus. “6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will[b] ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples”.

Anyone not in Christ (i.e. not abiding in Christ) is going to burn forever in hell. Sorry! But this the Truth. Let’s make it perfectly clear. Jesus is not saying if you have believed and trusted Me for your salvation, if you do not bear fruit, you will be “cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned”. The Very One who paid the ultimate price is not changing His mind to insist on salvation by our performance. He, Christ is the One who has performed – He died, and rose again that we can have eternal life in Him. The message of Christ did not change in John chapter 15. It is still same whosoever believeth in Christ shall have everlasting life.

If we are in Christ, we bear fruit. It is not if you bear fruit then you are in Christ – This is false doctrine and theology. For it is by grace we are saved and not of works therefore no one can boast. We are saved to do good works (Ephesians 2:4-10). The mark of a disciple is, “8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples”. The fruit flows supernaturally from God – His Word in us. Note also the greatest invitation to commune with God in prayer as part of the fruit bearing process. Lord, may your Word dwell richly in me. I pray for all whom you have placed in my life that I will be a conduit and expression of your life and love to them, in Jesus name. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!