Exceeding Abundant Grace of God

Exceeding Abundant Grace of God

Please pardon me. I cannot get away from this subject – Grace. My mother’s name is Grace and my daughter’s name is Grace too. I seem not to get enough of grace nor comprehend fully this Grace of God. As we continue our study of Ephesians we read:

7 That in the ages to come He (God) might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast

Exceeding riches of His grace in kindness in Christ Jesus! This is mind blowing for me. Exceeding, surpassing, bountiful grace for a 100% sinner like me is more than I can handle. How about you?

The first use of the word ‘grace’ in the Bible was with regards to Noah. Everyone else living was destroyed except for Noah and his family. Please read, “ 5 Then the LORD[b] saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the LORD said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. GENESIS 6: 5-8

That is remarkable what grace can accomplish. Why Noah? He has not done anything special but God spared him. When you are the object of God’s grace, you have life forever. If God’s grace is not on you, you are dead for ever without hope and separated from God.

What is exceeding riches of God’s grace? Ask Noah he will tell you. Like the people who lived at time of Noah, we too are still made of the same stuff and nature –sin. They were wicked and so are we.

For me the only way to comprehend grace is to understand how rebellious and sinful I am in my natural fleshy self. It is not that I have any element of goodness and then grace came from God to enhance it. No, there is nothing in me that is good that can please God.

The moment (even if it is for a second) I think I have any merits is the moment that I do not comprehend grace and therefore take God’s grace for granted. It is also the moment when I hold others in contempt – holier than thou kind of attitude. Am I really holier than you? Are you really holier than me? Neither of us is. This knowledge forces us to run to the Holy God to obtain mercy and grace in time of need – that time is every time without an exception.

Have you grasped the concept of God’s grace? Please help me to do so because I am struggling with it. Do you know why I am struggling with it? Each time anything other grace comes out of me to another reminds me that I need more grace. Can one for once treat others the same way God has treated me by grace? This is really where the rubber hits the road. Am I expecting grace from God while expecting you to pay me with the last drop of your blood? Honestly this where most of us live. God wants to transform us to His grace. I am crying out, Lord continue this work you have started in me.

God’s grace flows from His kindness to the underserving like me. There is absolutely no reason for God’s kindness to me because it is not based on my righteousness which even if I had any, is described as filthy rags in God’s presence. If there is any reason for God’s grace, it is not known to humans only to God. Why should God have grace on just one man Noah and grant him grace?

The beauty now is that God’s grace is available to all who are in Christ. We are encouraged and instructed by Apostle Peter, “ 18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ”. 2 Peter 3:18. We cannot have enough of God’s grace and we are to grow in it through His Word as we comprehend who Jesus is and the death He died for us on the Cross. The more we understand how Holy God is and how unholy we are, we run to God in Christ to get more grace and grow from grace to grace and from glory to glory. God will also make His grace to abound and grow in us. He is doing it all. I thank God. I just need to humble myself and cry out for help. He gives grace to the humble but resists the proud. I don’t want God resisting me. Do you?

As we grow in grace, we also realize we are stewards of the grace God has given us. Again Apostle Peter, now an elderly man encourages us: “ 8 And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.”[c] 9 Be hospitable to one another without grumbling. 10 As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God” 1 Peter 4:8-8. A steward takes care and invests and gives account of what have been entrusted to him. One sure way to be a good steward is to answer Paul’s question – Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? He answers God forbid. We must invest grace in other lives and relationship – spouses, children, extended family, friends, neighbors, co-workers etc. Friends, there is only one way to live – by Grace Alone.

Lord, Jesus show me who you are so I can understand the exceeding riches of your grace in kindness you granted me through and in Jesus Christ. Lord thank you for your grace and mercies which you continue to show and they are ever new every morning. Lord, help me to grow in grace through your word and practice. Lord, help me to a good steward of the manifold grace you have granted me. May your grace be sufficient for me now and forever. Amen.

Do you know someone who needs grace? Look in the mirror. Receive and give grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!