Giving Thanks to God always for all Things

Giving Thanks to God always for all Things

I hear you and you are saying, you must be kidding. “Always for all things”? You are asking me to define “all things”? All things is “all things”, “everything” no exception and inclusive of all things. You are probably also saying maybe “all good things”. I mean “all things”, good and bad. And you also mean “always”? Yes, I mean “always”, every time, regularly. I am not making it up.

Let’s look at the Scripture as Paul wrote to the Ephesians:

15 See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, 16 redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, 20 giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21 submitting to one another in the fear of God. Ephesians 5:15-21.

The reason and the basis of thanksgiving is the life in the Spirit or life supplied by the Spirit. When we are filled with the fullness of God Himself, we have all things. Therefore we can give thanks always for all things. If God, the creator of heaven and earth is in me and with me, who can be against me? He has already loved me too much by allowing His Son to die for my sins, what else is left. That alone is the reason for giving thanks to God for all things and at all times.

What are you looking for as we asked last week? If I have found what I am looking for – God Himself, then I look no further but rather I start and continually give Him thanks for finding me. It is all about God. Thanksgiving is not necessarily based on things that are happening to me or in me or about me. It is all about who God is. We thank God “in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ”.

A life full of God and the Holy Spirit will produce the fruit of the Spirit including thanksgiving. We don’t work to produce the fruit; they manifest because they are inside within. “22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit” Galatians 5:22-25. Peace comes from the Prince of peace. Love comes out from Love Himself. God is love. We are not robots, so we must put into practice to love and live in peace with others.

It is easy to thank God in retrospect. It is hardest in the midst of it and when all seem to fall apart and we don't yet understand what is going on, in the sickness, pain, hurt etc. It takes faith in God to thank Him in all things for all things. The just live by faith in God and thus, through faith please him. Without the sickness you would not have experienced the powerful healing of God. Now you know your God much better so we thank God for all things. For in my weakness, His power has been made strong (2 Cor.12:9).

Some of you know our story. I thank God for the 15 years of barrenness and infertility. I equally thank God for my wife UD, Grace and Jonathan. God has revealed Himself to us through barrenness and the blessings of children. He is still doing so. To Him be glory and honor.

We thank God because He said so. He has said he will never leave us nor forsake us. If He lives in me through the fullness of His Spirit then He is with me in everything I am going thru whether good or bad so I thank Him for all things because I trust Him. He also said “that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose” In summary, we thank God for all things; not for the happenings but for the fact that the fullness of His Spirit is in us and with us and He supplies all that we need at all times and forever. He is a wise God and He does the best always for me. I thank Him. Start and end your day thanking God and in between thanking God during the day.

Out of the fullness of God we can then worship God and sing and dance and make melodies in our hearts to the Lord and to one another. Out of the fullness of His Spirit we can equally submit to one another out of reverence for God. Since God is in you I don't take you for granted.

Now go ahead, shout and rejoice for everything you can remember and give God thanks for all things.
Go ahead and list all the good and the bad and thank God for them.

You start living a full life when you start thanking God always for all things. Say no to misery. Amen.

I thank God for you.

Happy Thanksgiving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!