Fear of Death and Dying

Fear of Death and Dying

No one wants to talk about our biggest fear, the fear of death and dying. Woody Allen said, "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." The fear is for the unknown. “Death is the termination of all biological functions that sustain a living organism”. It separates.

A co-worker Dr. Jeff passed away yesterday. He had been sick for a couple of months. Mr. Rivera, a former neighbor in his 80s died last week. Mr. Rivera had also been sick for about a year. Please pray for these families that God will comfort them. We all have had close relatives die. It is painful.

People that have no relationship with Jesus fear death and dying. They may pretend not to by masking fear with temporary pleasantries. How about the believer in Jesus? “He (Jesus) too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— 15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death” (Hebrews 2:14). Jesus has delivered His followers from the fear of death. We Praise God and thank Him! Amen.

We cannot deny the fear. That is why the Scripture says that “perfect love casts out fear” and “God is love”. He lives in us. We must cast out the fear of death by the constant reminder of what the Word of God says. Fear thrives in lack of trust or faith in God. And faith comes by hearing the Word of God.

In his letter to the Philippians, Paul confronts this issue of death and dying. Let’s hear Paul:

“Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.[d] 20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me”. Philippians 1: 19-26 (NIV).

1. Paul is torn into two about living or dying. We can also infer that by his account he was not afraid of death. In 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, Paul calls death “sleep”.

2. Paul describes death as “a desire to depart and be with Christ”. He even goes further to say it is far better than living. Yes, he meant it. For a man who has met the resurrected Jesus I believe Paul spoke the truth from the heart. Why would he fear death when he has seen first-hand the one who has the key to death and has himself risen from the dead?

3. Paul has written so much about death and the resurrection. Read all of 1 Cor. 15 where he makes the case for resurrection and final declaration that the believer in Christ has triumphed over death thru Christ. “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” The victory of Christ.

4. We should not fear death as the bible says. I believe that once we get a complete revelation of the risen Jesus we will not fear death. Is it possible that our concept of Jesus is the Jesus who only walked around Jerusalem, healing the sick and doing so many wonderful things? Many unbelievers have that same concept of Jesus. I believe that if our Jesus is the Jesus who died on the cross, was buried and rose from the grave after 3 days, we do not have anything to fear including death.

5. If we do not fear death, we must not fear living until Christ calls us home. Like Paul, we must be convinced of the reason to be alive; otherwise, we are just existing which is worse than dying. Paul’s purpose is “that Christ be magnified in his living or death”. That must be our purpose - magnify Christ. How? “I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith.” Are you living to bring “joy of faith” in God to someone? That is the reason to live.

6. Why should I be afraid of dying to meet the one who loves me most and who died for me? God has a specific day to call me home so I don’t have to know the day. I must be mindful of my limited number of years and live accordingly. I must trust him at all times – alive or dead.

So are you afraid of death and dying? Why or why not? Nothing shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus and not even death (Romans 8:37-39). Be encouraged today. We must bring hope to the fearful and hopeless through Christ. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!