Timothy - Tested Character

Timothy – Tested Character

The only one that is impressed and should be impressed with my character is God. I can impress people with my personality (my charms and niceness) but not with my character. People will notice my character but my ultimate goal is to build my character in God and for God. Because my character is from God, it will take me to the highest altitude/attitude where my personality and wealth cannot take me to.

My character is my fear of God. It is that which drives me to do what I do knowing that God is seeing and that He is my ultimate judge and not man. My character is the reflection of the nature of God in me.

Today, we are studying about Timothy whose character has been tested and found impressive before God. Hear Apostle Paul talk about Timothy, his beloved son in ministry:

“19 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, that I also may be encouraged when I know your state. 20 For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state. 21 For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus. 22 But you know his proven character, that as a son with his father he served with me in the gospel. 23 Therefore I hope to send him at once, as soon as I see how it goes with me. 24 But I trust in the Lord that I myself shall also come shortly.” Philippians 2:19-24

Here is Paul still trusting God to work things out in God’s own timing with regards to sending Timothy to see the welfare of his Philippian friends. Let's not force things to happen. Wait and be patient with God.

Notice the main ingredient in Timothy’s character – “For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus” vs. 21. Timothy demonstrated that he sought “the things which are of Christ” more than things that are of his own. His first question is not “What am I going to get out it but rather what will glorify God regardless of how it affects me”.

As we continue in our Christian growth and maturity, the one indicator of our growth and progress is whether we are yielding to Christ’s rights or my rights. It has been the same test throughout Scripture.

Listen to Joseph when Potiphar’s wife tried countless times to seduce him. She said to Joseph “lie with me”. Joseph replied, “9How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” Genesis 39: 9. Joseph was not concerned with what people will think but what God is thinking and seeing – “Wickedness and sin against my God?”

Timothy was not pursuing a great career goal like most of us. He was content to be with Paul and offer him help that advanced the preaching and spread of the gospel. His calling was to God and not man. The constant intake of God’s word transformed Timothy. “14 But as for you, continue in the things that you have learned and of which you are convinced [holding tightly to the truths], knowing from whom you learned them, 15 and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings (Hebrew Scriptures) which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus” 2 Timothy 3:14

Timothy has seen Paul make tough choices and he is learning from the master/father. We need people around us whom we can learn from. Someone said we need a Paul, Timothy and a Barnabas. Paul to look up to; Timothy to mentor and a Barnabas as a friend to speak into our lives and encourage us.

Secondly note that Timothy’s character has been tested and yours will be tested. “You know his proven character, that as a son with his father he served with me in the gospel.” Vs. 22

“Crisis reveals character. When we are put to the test the hidden resources of character are revealed exactly”. This is a good thing as James said, “Consider it nothing but joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you fall into various trials. Be assured that the testing of your faith [through experience] produces endurance [leading to spiritual maturity, and inner peace]. James 1:2-3

Instead of pouting and throwing tantrum for what God has allowed in our lives, can we take a back seat and ask what about my character is God trying to reveal to me? How much do I fear God instead of fearing man? We must take time to look inside of us and ask God to transform us into his character.

As I am getting older, I am noting that God is cornering and asking me the critical question - What are you going to do? Your will or my will? We cannot notice this question nor answer it if we are constantly on the run. I must slow down and confront in me what God is confronting in me.

It is a sad commentary that many pastors or so called pastors even in Paul’s time and our time are seeking only their own interest and for their own bellies.” For I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state” vs 20. It is required of us to make sure the pastors or teachers/overseers are proven and tested. Many these days are only interested in their private jets, jaguars and jeeps than in the personal and spiritual welfare of God's people.

“Search me [thoroughly], O God, and know my heart; Test me and know my anxious thoughts;
24 And see if there is any wicked or hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way” (Psalm 139:23-24. Amen.

What is your character before God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!