Jesus Willingly Died For Us His Enemies - Happy Easter!

Dear Saints,

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him." Romans 5:8-9. This scripture sums up what Christ did for us on the cross, dying for His enemies. We are justified in God's presence and saved from His wrath to come. Hallelujah!

 

I was out this week sharing this good news of the gospel at a public parking lot. Sometimes I get to talk one-on-one with people. Other times, I place a gospel tract strategically on a car where the driver returning to the parked car can see it and eventually read it. I had just done so, and a middle aged man walked to his car, grabbed the tract, and tore it into two, dropping the pieces on the ground. The gospel tract had the title "What is the Gospel?"

 

I watched this episode with great compassion. What came to my mind was what Jesus said about us while on the cross, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." Luke 23:34.

 

Yesterday was Good Friday. Yeah! We often feel sorry for Jesus. Please don't. Instead, we should be sorry for ourselves, the worst of sinners. It was our sins that drove Christ to the cross. Jesus willingly went to the cross and died for His enemies, you and me.

 

Listen to Jesus. John 10:17-18:

 

"Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."

 

It was an agreement between the Father and the Son. There was no coercion, no pushing but all willingly.

 

See what happened when they came to arrest Jesus. "When Jesus said, "I am He," they drew back and fell to the ground." John 18:6. Jesus willingly followed His arresters whom He could have zapped in seconds.

 

Listen to Jesus' answer to Pilate. "Pilate said. "Don't you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?" Jesus answered, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above." John 19:11. Again, Jesus willingly submitted himself to Pilate to be crucified.

 

Before Jesus came into the world, Isaiah prophesied, "He willingly gave his life and shared the fate of evil men. He took the place of many sinners and prayed that they might be forgiven." Isaiah 53:12. This is exactly what happened on the cross.

 

What is our proper response? Highest gratitude! We are to love him back and love others. 1 John 3:16: "By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."

 

Going back to the nameless man who tore the gospel tract. I bent down and took the two pieces. I smiled and waved goodbye to him as he drove away. I have kept the two pieces as a remembrance to pray for this man. I told my wife when I got home, and we prayed for the man. I have often prayed for him since then and will continue. I am comforted by the words of Jesus.

"Whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me." Luke 10:16. Lord, please do not count it on this man and pour out your grace and mercy on this man. Amen.

 

Please join me in praying the same for this man and any other rejecting God's love in Christ Jesus. Will you?

 

Let us continue to give ourselves in love to others and Jesus Christ, who died for us. Everyone needs to experience the love of Jesus Christ through us. Keep in mind that we all need the mercy and grace of God. If we only love those who do good to us, what good is it? Jesus said even the sinners do the same. Love your enemies and pray for them. This is the gospel - loving your enemy.  Jesus loved us while we were still His enemies.

 

Have you received and accepted this love of Christ? Are you spiritually tearing the "gospel tract" down in your heart? I had done that many times before Jesus apprehended me. I used to laugh and mock those who were in Christ before me. I called them ugly names. Something must have angered the man I encountered this week. I can assure you that it was not the Spirit of Christ. Satan blinds people's eyes from seeing and responding to God's love in Christ. Today, I plead with you to repent of your sins.

 

Let us pray together. Father, I am a sinner and need forgiveness. I confess my sins, and I repent of them. Lord, please forgive me and fill me with your Holy Spirit. Please help me live a new life of faith, trusting that you died on the cross, were buried, rose again, and reconciled me to God. Thank you, Jesus. Amen.

 

Please share the gospel's good news with others this Easter season. Jesus is Alive forever, so are we that believe and trust Christ. Rejoice Greatly for we have been justified by His blood and saved from God's wrath! Hallelujah!

Happy Resurrection Sunday Celebrations!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!