Salute Them Now

SALUTE THEM NOW

One of the highlights of my life and for our family happened on December 27, 2007. On this day, we celebrated my parents-in-laws’ 50th Wedding Anniversary. All of us children and grand children had a chance to write tributes to them and say thank you. Many well wishers also came to say thank you to them for the many lives they have touched. Apostle Paul also had a chance to write and pay tribute and salute many who had helped him and meant so much to him. Romans 16 is the salutation and tribute chapter and I encourage you to read the whole chapter. Let’s look at a few verses.

Romans 16: 1-5, 10-13
1I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant[a] of the church in Cenchrea. 2I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been a great help to many people, including me. 3Greet Priscilla[b] and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus. 4They risked their lives for me. Not only I but all the churches of the Gentiles are grateful to them. 5Greet also the church that meets at their house. Greet my dear friend Epenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in the province of Asia. 10Greet Apelles, tested and approved in Christ. Greet those who belong to the household of Aristobulus. 11Greet Herodion, my relative. Greet those in the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord. 12Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, those women who work hard in the Lord. Greet my dear friend Persis, another woman who has worked very hard in the Lord. 13Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord, and his mother, who has been a mother to me, too.

Paul realized that he could not have done what God commissioned him to do without the help of many. Knowing that his time on earth was getting shorter and also knowing the intense persecution the Church then was facing, he made sure to say thank you before any of his helpers could be killed. The greatest tribute to anyone is the one he or she hears while alive on this side of eternity. Likewise, the greatest tribute you and I can write is one written while alive. Tomorrow may be too late to say thank you.

Paul was specific in his tributes and we can learn from him. Phoebe was a “great help to many people including myself.” There are many Phoebes in my life. I will just mention Dr. & Mrs. Moberg of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They had a weekly Friday Bible Fellowship in their house and hosted and fed many international students from the local universities in Milwaukee. This was my first taste of the American hospitality when I arrived to attend Marquette University 28 years ago. It meant so much to me and left a lasting impression on me. Thank you, Dr. & Mrs. Moberg.

Paul writes, Priscilla and Aquila, “They risked their lives for me.” I suspect that adversaries were always looking for Paul to harm him, thus, it was risky to have Paul stay in your house because you could also get killed. Many have risked their lives for you and me. Some many have put their credit lines or status in jeopardy to help us. Let’s remember them and say thank.

There are many others Paul mentioned such as Rufus and his mother, “who has been a mother to me too“. You and I also have many who have been like “mothers and fathers” to us. My two senior brothers have been like fathers to me since I was only eleven when our father passed away. They disciplined me and helped train me and paid my school fees and enabled me come to America. Thank you to my “dedes” (that’s what I call them).

Unlike Paul, technology is now on our side to easily say thank you to people who have helped us in one way or another and in teaching us the word of God. We can send email, call by phone or even better, the snail mail to say thank you. Who are your Phoebes, Priscilla, Aquila, Rufus and his mother, Dr. & Mrs. Moberg or my dedes, pastors and many more? Let’s say thank you and salute them now. Do not hesitate and procrastinate because you may never have the chance. Let us also go out of our way to help others and give them a reason to write tribute. Be a Priscilla or an Aquila to someone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!