Follow Me

Follow Me

If you have ever driven in Washington DC, you know that you can easily get lost looking for your way. Two months ago, I was in DC and a couple in their car who were very lost asked me for direction to get to the Washington Times Building off of New York Avenue. I knew the place and I had been there at least twice before. Confidently, I told them to follow my direction. I pointed them in the direction and off they went. Later, I had to follow the same direction to make my way to Maryland. As I drove this street which I thought will connect to NY Avenue, I did not know that it was only a one-way street joining the heavy traffic of NY Avenue to the North and away from DC into Maryland. At this realization, I felt so sorry for the couple I had given direction. This couple would be further lost because of my direction and because they followed me. In fact following my direction, they would have to drive for more than 3 miles on a highway before seeing an exit. They sincerely followed me but I was also sincerely wrong in my direction. Next time you see me in DC, run and don’t ask me for direction. In our study today, Jesus tells us, his disciples and anyone else “Follow Me”. Jesus reveals who He is and gives us conditions if we are to follow Him. My initial question is, follow Him to where and for what?

Luke 9: 18-27:
18Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him, he asked them, "Who do the crowds say I am?"
19They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, that one of the prophets of long ago has come back to life."
20"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
Peter answered, "The Christ[a] of God."
21Jesus strictly warned them not to tell this to anyone. 22And he said, "The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life."
23Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. 25What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self? 26If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. 27I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."

Here are my observations on the passage in addition to the ones you may have:

1. Whenever possible, Dr. Luke highlights the prayer life of Jesus - “Once when Jesus was praying”. Jesus who was fully God and fully man and at the same time prayed to the Father. How much more should we be praying in this vital relationship with our Heavenly Father?

2. We have read and heard what others may say about Jesus. But today, Jesus is asking you and me, “Who do you say I am?” Is He the “Christ of God” to you or something else? In Matthew 16:17, see what Jesus said to Peter for answering correctly about who Christ is, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.” Let us pray that God will reveal Himself to us. Do you lack His revelation? Ask the Father and He will reveal Himself to you and me.

3. Christ described what He was going to go through (his suffering, the death on the cross and His resurrection) to secure our salvation. Peter the one who just got the revelation turns around to oppose Christ upon hearing this (see Matthew 16:22-23). Peter says, “Never Lord”. This shall never happen to you” I thank God that Jesus went through with his suffering, death and resurrection. Peter wanted to save Jesus’ life. Sounds good but the idea came from the pit of hell. We must discern what thoughts come to us. Jesus said to him, “Get behind me Satan”. I have often repeated those words to myself. I do not know about you but sometimes, some crazy thoughts just come from no where and we must resist it. “We take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” (1 Corinthians 10:5).

4. “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” Where are we following Jesus to? I believe to the cross. The cross involves self denial of personal rights and entitlement just as Jesus forfeited His. He did not have to die but He did for us. How many times on a daily basis are we challenged by giving up our rights? Just let it go. It becomes a life style of giving preference to others. I was preparing this lesson, the devil brings upon something I could rightly pick on my wife for. I could hear the Holy Spirit say to me, “Are you going to pick on her for that? Let it go”. I thank God I did let it go. I have not done so well in the past where I would drive my points and make my case just like the prosecuting attorney. For me it is a daily challenge at home, work and other interactions with people. Are you going to let it go against this person whom you have concrete evidence of doing you wrong? Let it go for your sake.

5. There is a cost to following Jesus and let us not take it for granted. Are you and I willing to pay the price? Some people as we read in Luke 9:59-62 were not willing to pay the price. Jesus did not force them because they had all kinds of excuses such as “bury my father”, say goodbye to my family”. Notice that these excuses are all nice things to do. But even the nice things can stop us from following Jesus. What are your excuses and when will you get over them?

The bottom line is, who are you following? Are you and I well caught up with the latest fashion, TV/Sports stars/celebrities that we are unknowingly following them? Some people know more about Britney Spears or Tiger Woods than they know about Jesus. You will follow who you know and trust. You can sincerely follow the wrong direction or person. If we are going to the Father, we must follow Jesus because He is the only WAY, TRUTH and LIFE. Remember the couple I gave direction? It does not matter how sincere they and I were but if they have to make it to their destination, they must turn around because they were headed the wrong direction. It is called repentance and change in thinking. You and I need change in thinking in many areas of our lives. We need “a renewed mind” (Romans 12: 2) if we are going to follow Jesus. Let us ask God for revelations of where our minds need renewal. Amen. For now, “let it go and do not press any further charge”. Following Jesus is a life of paradox. “Lose your life to save it”. Will you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!