Open My Eyes Lord

Open My Eyes Lord

From my time in primary school up to third year of high school, I did not realize I was technically blind. I had the practice of sitting at the first row in the classroom, very close to the blackboard so that I can see what was written. Well, you would think someone should have detected my eye problem for this long period. The reason that wasn’t the case is that I had grown up in a village where there where no doctors and early eye screening was not done for kids as it is in the Western world. After these while, I had complained to one of my big brothers who took me to a big city for eye examination. I still remember the first day I got my first eye glasses. It was like day and night. I could see for the first time and enjoy the various colors that had been blurred to me. I could see far enough and able to read signs and not bump into things. I was very excited and thankful to my brother. I realized that I had been suffering all these while in silence. My new sight offered me more freedom, so I could sit anyway in the classroom but I chose to still sit in the front row to avoid the noise makers and distractions at the back of the classroom.

Jesus, upon resurrection knew that the disciples needed spiritual glasses to see and understand what had happened in order to see Him, the risen Christ. The disciples were eager and hungry to see and understand the risen Christ who will forever transform their lives. Are you hungry and looking for God? He says those who seek me shall find me.

Luke 24: 36-45
36While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you." 37They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. 38He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? 39Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." 40When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. 41And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?" 42They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43and he took it and ate it in their presence.
44He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms." 45Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48You are witnesses of these things. 49I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."

Here are my observations in addition to the ones you may have:

1. The disciples had been exchanging notes and sharing with each other their individual experiences about how Jesus had appeared to them. At this time, it is recorded that those who had seen the risen Christ were just the women who went to the tomb, Peter and the two who were traveling on Emmaus road. The rest were shaking their heads and still doubtful of Christ rising from the dead. We really can’t blame them. I would want to see for myself too. We are all from Missouri, the “Show me State”. But we can’t live in Missouri forever. We must seek and find the truth. Jesus is the truth. Jesus appeared in person to more than 500 people after His resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:6).

2. Only the Prince of Peace can really give us peace in our troubled and doubtful situations. “Peace be with you”, Jesus said to his disciples. It was not a cliché. Jesus was saying I am here and I am with you. What are you troubled and doubtful about right now? Peace be with you!

3. Notice that the mind is the battle ground and seat of our doubts and troubles. In other words, we create unrealities that are far from the truth in our minds.

4. Only the enlightened truth of the Word of God can clear our minds of lies and seeds of doubts. Nothing else will do. Jesus said to his disciples, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms." 45Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures”. Jesus “opened their minds” You and I need a revelation of the Word of God. We are blinded and only God himself can remove the veil from us. However, we must be willing and seeking. Lord, open my eyes today to your truth. I need your revelation. Is this your prayer?

5. We must be 5 “casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5, 6). This is only done through the revealed Word of God. We must demolish the strongholds of the mind that have held us bound and captive. Any thought in our mind that minimizes who Jesus is a stronghold. He is the almighty God.

6. We must not “be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God” (Romans 12:2). You see, when you have a proof through a renewed mind, there is no more doubt. Our proof must come from the revelation of the Scripture. Our minds must first think right before we act right. This is the process of transformation. We will continue in anger and malice and unforgiveness unless our minds are renewed by the revelation of who Jesus is and what He has done for us on the cross. Jesus forgave us and we must forgive others.

7. Our eyes need to be open to the truth of the word so that we can receive the fullness of God and be able to be “His witnesses” and be able to preach and live out “repentance and forgiveness” to all nations. It is not enough to have revelation just for ourselves. It is for a purpose. We can’t fake Christianity or being Jesus’ disciples. You can only be a witness to what you have seen and experienced. Knowing and recognizing Jesus is the ultimate experience. Nothing else matters at the end. Are you are witness for Jesus; not a “Jehovah Witness (JW) cult”. Unfortunately, the JWs need their eyes opened to see that Jesus is God and not a created being. Jesus is the creator of all things (Hebrew 1).
For the period of my early childhood and up to early teens, I had thought it was normal to see the much that I saw. I was satisfied with the unrealities of partial vision. I had devised a method to cope; always sitting at the front row in the classroom. The truth was that I needed eye glasses. There was no way of getting around it. You and I need God’s revelation on a daily basis; otherwise, we can’t see a thing around us. Are you comfortable with distortions in your mind and head regarding the almighty God? Are you just coping and winging it and not relying on the truth for perfect vision for your life? Have you studied the Bible to see the risen Jesus, the savior? Are you hungry for God? I challenge you to employ study tools such as concordance, bible dictionaries and commentaries.

Apostle Paul prayed for the Ephesians. “I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you.” (Ephesians 1:18). This is also my prayer for you. Please pray the same for me. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!