Be Reconciled to God - Study 3/22/12

Be Reconciled to God

Why is it that people of all sorts can understand the most complex issues and matters that will make ones brain spin but miss the most simplest of God’s message. We have scientist who can solve the most difficult mathematical problems and apply them to the point of sending people to the moon and back and yet the simple message of the gospel goes over their heads. This is not restricted to scientist but to all. One answer as stated by Apostle Paul is that the minds of the unbelieving have been blinded by the devil (2 Corinthians 4:4). So I pray today that any of us reading this that the blindness and veil be removed from us in Jesus name.

Apostle Paul had taught the Corinthians in person when he first presented the gospel (Acts 18). Now in this Letter 2 Corinthians 5, he summarizes the gospel as the message of reconciliation saying to the Corinthians, “We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[a] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” vs.20-21.

I am an accountant so I understand the term reconciliation. You only reconcile accounts that are out of balance. The debit must equal the credit. Unfortunately, the account of the world with God almighty has been out of balance since Adam and Eve disobeyed God. If we don’t believe this premise, then there is no need for reconciliation. “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God”. “But your iniquities have separated between you and your God” (Isaiah 59:2). It is humanity that has sinned so the reconciliation is man to God and not God to man. Humans are not basically good and that is why we need to reconcile to God on His own terms.

Have you been reconciled to God or do you still think that there is no need for reconciliation? Unfortunately many have not been reconciled to God including many in the Church. The reason being that many think that it is something that they can accomplish on their own efforts rather than what God has already done to reconcile us to Himself. Our good works cannot not save us period.

How did God reconcile us to himself and when does this promise of reconciliation become effective in a person’s life? The message of the Gospel is that of Great Hope to start a brand new relationship with God even though we have messed up and sinned. Imagine becoming “the righteousness of God”. Can you and I accept this offer of a new beginning from God? Be reconciled to God today. Have you? The alternative is permanent separation from God and no created being can endure the wrath of God. The offer for reconciliation with God has time limit and so let’s keep that in mind.

2 Corinthians 5:13-6:2

14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[a] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God

1 As God’s fellow workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. 2 For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.”[a] I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation.

Here are my observations in addition to the ones you may have:

1. God almighty who is Holy and just and cannot tolerate sin has actually satisfied all His own requirements. Sin must be paid for by death but at the same time God has show us His mercy. The only way He could balance this two equations is to make sure that He did not contradict Himself - justice vs. mercy. As a result, He sent His son to pay for our sins. “For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died” vs.14. The compelling force or demonstration of God’s love is displayed on the Cross. When Christ (who had no sin vs.21) died, I am made to understand by this scripture that I died too for my sins. Christ is the one that died but His death has been applied to my account to balance what I owed to God for my sins. What a glorious substitution. That is why the gospel is so sweet and who can reject such “a great salvation”.

2. It gets even sweeter. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” vs.17. What a mind blowing concept. Can you now see the process of reconciliation? Because Christ died, I also died and because He rose from the dead, I am equally considered being raised from the dead. All this makes me a “new creation”. My old self that was separated from God no longer exists and my new self has been made into “the righteousness of God. Woo

3. Let’s look closer. “if anyone is in Christ”. This is equivalent to saying if anyone believes and has faith in what Christ has done on the Cross, then they are appropriated all the benefits of the atonement or sacrifice that was accomplished by Christ. Jesus himself said it better. 16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[f] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son” John 3:16-18.

4. Based on the above scripture in John, sin has been paid for by Jesus Christ. The only sin not paid for is the rejection of God’s offer for reconciliation and refusing to believe. Jesus says the one who refuses to believe is condemned already. This would be the tragic end of many. That is why God is pleading “Be reconciled to God”. There is no other plan of salvation left except that which God has offered us in Christ Jesus. “God made him who had no sin to be sin[a] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God”.

5. All offers expire. There is a time allowed for acceptance and rejection. We all understand this so well for example, there is a limited time to accept or reject an admission offer into a university. This is the time for accepting God’s offer for reconciliation and uniting with Him. Paul tells the Corinthians, “We urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. 2 For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.”[a] I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation”. Did you hear that? People ask about time. There is only one valid time in the whole world – now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation. Can you count on tomorrow? Neither can I?

A friend at work attended his aunt’s funeral yesterday. This is my friend whom I have been pleading with to be reconciled to God. In his own words, he said, “it made me think”. I said sure and you should. Then I asked him and now what will you do? He laughed it off. He acknowledged that he was not sure that his aunt reconciled with God and had suffered so much before her death. I told him that no suffering here can be compared to being separated from God for ever. The laughter will end some day for any who refuses to accept God’s offer of salvation.

God has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ’s death and payment for our sins. The question is have you reconciled yourself to God by accepting his offer of grace? Have you received God’s grace in vain by rejecting God and living for self?

Lord I repent for the times I have taken your grace for granted. Thank you for dying on the cross for me to wash away my sins. Thank you for reconciling me to yourself. Lord, remove any and every blindness of mind and heart that stops me from accepting and believing by faith what you have done for me. Lord, help me to be reconciled to you. I do not want to be your enemy any longer because of my own stubbornness. I believe, please help my unbelief and fill me with your Holy Spirit. Amen.

Hello my fellow Ambassador. Please forward this message to someone. Thank you and may God bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!