I am an Ambassador for Christ - Study 3/15/12

I am an Ambassador for Christ

The word ambassador carries many immediate impressions when we hear it. Let’s look at some of them. The first is someone who is important, highest ranking, one representing a government usually in a foreign land; one who advances the interest of his nation; someone who may or may not know the indigenous language but at least understand the culture of the foreign land. It also conveys someone who speaks for the leader of his own country. It also speaks of someone whose appointment is not permanent and can be recalled at anytime by the one who sent him/her. It also includes someone who is older and wise.

In today’s study, Apostle Paul refers to himself and us as “Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us” 2 Corinthians 5:20. He is pleading with the Corinthians for God. It is a privilege to be called an ambassador for Christ. In the government use of the word, the ambassadors are granted diplomatic immunities but at the same time being an ambassador also carries its own risks. For example, at least five USA ambassadors to foreign countries have been assassinated in the past. Apostle Paul referred to himself as “I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should” (Ephesians 6:20). He was referring to preaching the gospel of Christ from the prison. We can be stationed anywhere as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords chooses.

The key thing to know as an ambassador is the message of the one who sent you. You are not to deviate from it because it is not your message. For us the message is simple: “We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[a] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” vs. 21. Let us plead on God’s behalf to all whom God have sent us to be reconciled to God. You are very important to God and His highest ranking representative to some people. You and I are Ambassadors for Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:11-21

11 Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience. 12 We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. 13 If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. 14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[a] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Here are my observations in addition to the ones you may have:

1. Apostle Paul continues with his “great digression” to touch on various topics. Last week we looked at heaven and death; the new body we will be given when we die and the instant meeting of Lord at time of death. In this segment, Paul states his motivation for ministry and what God has called him to be. Yes, we will all appear before the judgment seat of Christ but that isn’t really his motive for ministry.
2. What is Paul’s motive for ministry as he tells the Corinthians? “For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again” vs. 14-15. I have to stop and ask myself what is motivating me to do whatever I do. I hope you do the same. Christ’s unconditional love is more powerful than anything else. Has anyone else besides Christ died for you?

3. What does it really mean to not to live for oneself? Do you continuously deny yourself of all that you need in order to serve others? Maybe and maybe not. I really do not know. But I know that it involves selflessness which is the opposite of selfness. Christ was our example so we emulate him. We are put in various relationships for this very purpose that we no longer live just for ourselves but to honor God in others. Marriage is the best thing I can relate to when it comes to not living for self. May be it is the same for you but it is not limited to marriage. Can we ask God to help us understand what this means individually for our lives – to live for the one who died for us?

4. Apostle Paul goes on to shade more light on the subject of “living for the one who died for us”. There is a new life that makes living for God possible “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” vs.17. Our old nature is still with us but it cannot live this new life in Christ. But it says the old has gone. Really? What is really gone? I believe the old is the Law and the new is the Spirit. It is only when we live by the promptings of the Holy Spirit that we are able to live for Christ. Sometimes we have reduced it to counting the many vices we have given up such as smoking or drinking etc. Those are okay and we should but it is a “new” that continues to become new until we meet Jesus face to face.

5. How can God then entrust Paul and us this very important errand “the ministry of Reconciliation”? What is that anyway? Paul explains it. “That God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men’s sins against them”. God is actually pleading through us. That was what happened to me. My cousin pleaded on God’s behalf for me to turn my attention to consider Jesus. I did not have any real interest in God though I went to church but it did not mean much to me. It was not a onetime pleading, so let’s continue to plead. Let's remind people that God will not count their sins to them as long as they trust and believe in Christ sacrifice and salvation.

6. To the extent I am making this pleading on behalf of God and Christ, I am therefore and ambassador for Christ. It is not my message. The content is already complete all I have to do is present and plead for someone to consider. This weekend I went to my elderly neighbor couple. I visit them from time to time. We always have casual conversations and by God’s grace I direct it to the conversions of who God is and what life here is all about. I am pleading with my neighbors even in their old age to consider life in Christ in light of eternity. I will continue to visit them and plead. Please pray for my neighbors Mr. and Mrs. JD. I am also pleading with a co-worker and have done so for many years. I reminded him today and please pray for Mr. J.

Hello fellow Ambassador for Christ? Where has God posted you? We all have specific posts so we must fulfill our ambassadorial duties because the love of Christ compels us. To me, this is the highest calling and it starts from home to the world around us. I am God’s ambassador to my wife and children. A lot of times I need help to be the best ambassador and sometimes I make the headlines usually for not representing Christ properly. I thank God that He has not recalled me. May Christ’s love motivate us today to speak and do something for Christ. Will you?

Lord, may your Holy Spirit continue to empower me as you promised. “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth” Acts 1:8. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!