Abundant Life in Jesus - Study 5/23/13

Abundant Life in Jesus

We have just witnessed in the natural sense an example of what Jesus spoke in John 10:10. On Monday May 20th, tornado touched down in Oklahoma with up to 300 mph wind, 1.5 mile wide and 17 miles stretch of destruction flattening everything on its path. The destruction is unimaginable from the photos and thank God many survived. So far 24 are listed dead (including 9 children). We pray God’s comfort for these families that have lost loved ones and have no place to live.

John 10:9-10 says, “I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly”. This is one of the most misquoted and misapplied verse and word of Jesus. In the natural, we see the lives lost and the destruction in Oklahoma. A man interviewed had just moved into a brand new house 8 days ago and right now there is no house standing in his lot or his neighborhood. Oh when he moved into the new house, people would be pointing and saying he has been blessed and he is living the abundant life.

Is that really what Jesus was speaking about as abundant life? The prosperity preachers (“the hirelings”) have convinced the Church to believe so. The abundant life” is quoted in such prayers as “Oh Lord you said you will give us abundant life, please help me with my bills, and this new car I want and also I need to move to a new neighborhood and admission and scholarship to the best school, and good health. Amen.” There is nothing wrong in praying and making our needs known to God. But let’s watch out for the danger and lie of anything that has reduced the Christian life to only life and comfort just here on earth. For a change, get excited about heaven where the street is made of gold and don’t settle for less here with black stinky and dirty asphalt paved street. In heaven we will be with God, the maker all things. He is the creator of things, the Almighty God and Our Father.

What is the abundant life and are you living in Him? Jesus is the Life. And He is abundant. The word “abundant” in vs.10 means “exceeding some number or measure or rank or need, over and above, more than is necessary, superadded exceeding abundantly, supremely, something further, more, much more than all, more plainly superior, extraordinary, surpassing, uncommon, pre-eminence, superiority, advantage, more eminent, more remarkable, more excellent”. Jesus himself is definitely the abundant life he promises to give. He is the supreme and most excellent and eminent. These are not references to “material things” we can acquire with money.

The “stealing, killing and destruction” Jesus references is the killing of our life with God. If a thief comes, he only wants to steal the most valuable treasure and in our case it is not the houses, cars and fat bank accounts. Make no mistakes, Satan has come to steal, kill and destroy humanity and deprive them of life with God.

Does God take care of his children? Sure he does and he will take care of the people in Oklahoma. Listen to Apostle Paul describe our life here on earth. “7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us. 8 We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed— 10 always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. 11 For we who live are always delivered to death for Jesus’ sake, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. 12 So then death is working in us, but life in you”. 2 Corinthians 4:7-12.

Let’s be clear what we are pursuing. It is not the “American Dream and the pursuit of happiness”. We are pursuing the real life and “treasure” – Jesus who died, rose again and lives in us that we may live for Him. That is the abundant, forever sinless, righteous, endless, life in God He has promised and given us who believe in Him. I am so excited about this life in Jesus. He is my righteousness and His grace is abundant for me. What about you?

What are we to do? Let’s pray and preach rightly the word of God and help people enter and experience the “abundant life” – Jesus. He is the True Shepherd and only through Him can any man or woman enter and be in the presence of the Holy God. The tornado in Oklahoma is nothing compared to the destruction and hell to come at the end of the age on the unbelieving in Jesus. You can believe in Jesus as your savior even today if you have not done so. Let’s learn from Oklahoma. Tomorrow may be too late.
Let’s now read John 10:10 in its context and see that Jesus is speaking about himself as the abundant life.

John 10: 1-17:

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. 5 Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” 6 Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them.
7 Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who ever came before Me[a] are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. 12 But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. 13 The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. 15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.
17 “Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”

Though Jesus was speaking to the Jews in this passage, did you see us gentiles in vs. 16? “And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd”. There is only One Shepherd and One Family “Church” of Jesus.

Let’s watch out for the “hireling” that is the “hired servant”. He is only working for the money and that is what we have today. These are the preachers who only want your money and that is all they preach. These are not the True Shepherd “pastors”. Jesus is the only Shepherd. May we always hear His voice and follow Him. In Jesus we find true pasture. “9 I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture”. Thank you Jesus for saving me. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!