John the Baptist Beheaded for Christ the Truth

John the Baptist Beheaded for Christ the Truth

John the Baptist came for one purpose to announce and point Israel and all people to Jesus. Read how his mission ended. Are we ready to go all the way for Jesus and His truth?

Matthew 14: At that time Herod the tetrarch heard the report about Jesus 2 and said to his servants, “This is John the Baptist; he is risen from the dead, and therefore these powers are at work in him.” 3 For Herod had laid hold of John and bound him, and put him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife. 4 Because John had said to him, “It is not lawful for you to have her.” 5 And although he wanted to put him to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him as a prophet.

6 But when Herod’s birthday was celebrated, the daughter of Herodias danced before them and pleased Herod. 7 Therefore he promised with an oath to give her whatever she might ask.
8 So she, having been prompted by her mother, said, “Give me John the Baptist’s head here on a platter.”

9 And the king was sorry; nevertheless, because of the oaths and because of those who sat with him, he commanded it to be given to her. 10 So he sent and had John beheaded in prison. 11 And his head was brought on a platter and given to the girl, and she brought it to her mother. 12 Then his disciples came and took away the body and buried it, and went and told Jesus."

John the Baptist may have seen this coming but didn't think it will end this way. John had said, “He must increase, but I must decrease” referring to Jesus. We may not understand all of God’s ways because it is beyond us. But one thing we know is Psalms 23:3 “He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake”.

How did John get in trouble? He spoke the truth. Herod, you can't have your brother's wife. Oh these days we will equally get into troubles when we speak the truth such as: if you are a man you cannot marry another man or if you're a woman you cannot marry another woman. Should we speak the truth? Yes and let the chips fall. It may not yet come to beheading but be sure you could lose your job, popularity and incur persecution overtly or subtly in our day.

Could God have saved John from Herod? Of course his arm is not too short. John’s mission was complete in God’s eyes. When my mission is also complete, i will go to my Father and your Father. There is nothing to fear for our lives are secure in Him. Check out Psalm 139 for great assurance - "all the days ordained for me were written in your book".

Can we allow God to help himself with/to us and do with us what he wants for his glory and for his name sake? We all want to be used by God but only in our way and our approved circumstances. But Paul said, 14 For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; 15 and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again”. 2 Corinthians 5:14.

Following my stroke a year ago, I now walk with a limp with much effort to take the next step. It reminds me of Jacob in the OT when God changed his name from Jacob to Israel. I thank God in all situations but I didn't bargain for my present state. I can honestly say that I have tasted and seen that the Lord is good during my stroke and recovery. This year has had the most impact in my life and through my life. I have a much clearer vision of God’s purpose in me and for me.

Friends I am not bragging but for the first time I can relate to Paul when he said, “21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor” Philippians 1:21. The only reason I am alive is to continue to know Christ and make Him known to those who have not yet put their trust in Christ as Lord and Savior. The end for those outside of Christ is too disastrous (the coming wrath of God) for us to ignore them. We all used to live without Christ.

It is hard for us to think and believe the way of the cross if our concentration of living is focused only on earthly here and now. “If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth”. Colossians 3:1-2.

Friends let us be ready and willing to obey our Father as sons and daughters at all costs just as Christ did. Christ learned obedience through his suffering for our salvation. Let’s live to call others to salvation. This is also a call to salvation in Christ if you do not yet believe and trust in Christ, and you are reading this.

I don't know what God has for you but I know it is good and it is for his name sake. Amen. Can we live at this level of trust and assurance? This is the reality of Christ living in me and in you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!