The Faithful Church/Christian

 Dear Saints:

Jesus is looking for faithfulness in all that we are and doing. Faithful to Him and trusting God at all times. Jesus has found a faithful Church in Philadelphia.

The city of Philadelphia was planned to be a center of Greek culture and language spread. It was also prone to earthquakes. And it was also known for its strategic highways that connected Europe and Asia.

The Philadelphia church had only commendations from Jesus and was not commanded to repent like the other churches. This is the ideal church and model for all Christians. Let’s hear from Jesus, the “holy” and “true” One speak to the Church at Philadelphia in the book of Revelation (please read entire chapters 2-3):

 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write,

‘These things says He who is holy, He who is true, “He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens”: 8 “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.

9 Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie—indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you. 10 Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. 11 Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown.

12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.

 13 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Revelation 3:7-13

 The Philadelphia church had three key characteristics. 1. They were evangelistic and able to recognize open doors for spreading the gospel and did so; 2. They relied on God for strength though they were few in number and may not have been well educated; and 3. They were obedient even in the little things and did not deny the name of Jesus at all cost.

I often hear people use this scripture only as means of claiming material prosperity and not for the context intended by Jesus. “See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it”.  No. The “open door” is to make Jesus known through the preaching and demonstrations of the gospel in all we do. Everywhere we are is a mission field because the Spirit of Christ is in us and when people meet us, they encounter the Christ in us. The Philadelphia Church were intentional and took advantage of where they were.

We are interacting with people on a daily basis and each person we encounter is an open door for the gospel. We just have to be mindful and pay attention to what the Spirit is telling us about people and follow through “and no one can shut it”. 

I had such encounter last week. Zak came to give me estimate for garage door replacement. We got to know one another and he told me he had migrated from Israel. I asked him to resolve the sin issue for me or find out from his Rabbi. Since the Jews no longer sacrifice animals, how would they atone for sins without the shedding of blood required by God in the Old Testament. I showed Zak how Jesus has now met the requirement and have become our atonement. I gave Zak my business and he will return to install the doors and we will talk further.

Two days ago, I met a young man (Mike) in front of the Target store in my neighborhood. He was handing out gospel tracts and telling people about Jesus. I asked him why he was doing that and he said he owed so much to Jesus for delivering him from his former way of life. I was very impressed/encouraged and we prayed together that God will strengthen him. 

Mike is like the one Jesus talked about, “for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name”.  Mike did not appear to be too educated and he was alone sharing the gospel. The Lord strengthened Mike as he obeyed and was not ashamed to be ridiculed.

May we be faithful as Mike and like the Philadelphia church, be commended for obedience and reliance on Jesus for all we do and speak. Amen. You cannot give people anything better than Jesus Christ in you.

Who are the “open doors” God has set before you today, this year and in this season? Recognize them, and walk-through God’s doors of opportunity of sharing the Gospel and making Jesus known. May the Lord strengthen you and me as we do so. Amen.

Please note that by implication of the “Rapture”, Jesus will keep us away from the great tribulation that will come upon the world. See Revelation 3:10 above and 1 Thessalonians 4.

Do not miss the Rapture. If you have not done so, please put you trust in Jesus Christ who has paid for our sins and forgives us forever as we repent of our sins. May the Spirit of Christ draw you to Himself. Amen.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!