The Yoyo (aka Lukewarm) Church/Christian

Dear Saints:

The yoyo toy is fun to watch for kids. It goes up and down and never settles at any particular point. As a verb, yoyo: fluctuate. Similar: oscillate, swing, alternate, see-saw, veer, waver, sway, vary, vacillate.

Today, as we continue our study and as we hear Jesus speak, we encounter the most dangerous and frightening of the seven churches - the Laodicean Church. “The name Laodicea means “rule of the people.” This church well represents a church run by majority rule instead of God. Its name designates it as the Church of mob rule, the democratic Church, in which everything is swayed and decided by popular opinion, clamor and voting (Seiss).

This is the modern day church where you and I live. Let us hear Jesus speak in the book of Revelation (please read entire chapters 2 and 3):

“And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,

‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten.

Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

22 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Revelation 3:14-22.

Jesus, the “Faithful and True witness” is saying it exactly as it is without mincing words. Is this a church/Christian or not? Jesus is saying, I don’t even know based on your outward appearance and conduct. Are you and I cold, hot or lukewarm? This church was neither cold nor hot but lukewarm. A “yoyo” Christian does no good to God and to humans. A lukewarm, indifferent Christian is more harm to the church and the spread of the gospel than the atheist who has clearly come out to say I do not believe in God.

For now (as we will continue the study next week), our duty is to allow Jesus reveal to us our true state and diagnosis. There is no need going further if we can’t stop to allow the scoping of the Holy Spirit penetrate our hearts so we know for sure where we stand. There is no need taking the doctor’s recommended medicine if you refuse to accept the diagnosis of sickness.

The Message Bible translation brings it home for the American modern Christian:

15-17 “I know you inside and out, and find little to my liking. You’re not cold, you’re not hot—far better to be either cold or hot! You’re stale. You’re stagnant. You make me want to vomit. You brag, ‘I’m rich, I’ve got it made, I need nothing from anyone,’ oblivious that in fact you’re a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless.”

Spurgeon, on the lukewarm Christian: “They are neither hot for the truth, nor hot for conversions, nor hot for holiness, they are not fiery enough to burn the stubble of sin, nor fervent enough to make a living sacrifice of themselves upon the altar of their God. They are ‘neither cold nor hot’.

Lord, we thank you, for “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten.” Thank you for your love and rebuke and chastening. Help us to hear and repent. Amen.

Friends, let us be hot for Jesus. May we never be dead as cold; and not lukewarm to confuse ourselves and people around us by our unloving, nonchalant attitudes and actions/inactions. Amen.

What are you? Hot, Cold or Lukewarm? Whatever you can do in the name of Jesus and for the glory of God, do it now not tomorrow. Is there enough evidence to convict you as a Christian and a follower of Christ?
Yes, there is a place for good works not as a basis for salvation (for we are saved by grace through faith in Christ ) but as a means to glorify God after salvation (See Ephesians 2:8-10). May God's grace abound for you and me to do His will. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!