Real Christians do not Dance Disco

Real Christians do not Dance Disco

Someone will say, show me where in the Bible it says Christians should not dance to disco music. It is found in the book of 1 Liberty 1:1. In the same book, you will also see where it says Christians cannot drink wine or beer or any alcohol and that all Christians must be vegetarians like me. By now you must have concluded that I am going off of my mind. You are right. On each of these issues, I know that you already have a position. In Romans 14, Apostle Paul calls these “Disputable Matters”. Another word for this is “Christian Liberty”. These are the gray areas where we all have some level of discretion to act. Let’s read what Apostle Paul says in Romans on these issues.

Romans 14
13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food[b] is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.
19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.

There are no hard and fast rules on so many things we do or things we eat or the days we celebrate such as Christmas or Easter. Whatever we do or eat, as always, the concern is to show brotherly love to another whether one considers himself strong in faith or weak in faith. Someone said that we have three basic questions to ask in matters of decision or actions we encounter. First is “Does the Bible forbid my doing this?” In other words, is there a specific command such as do not steal or commit adultery? If so, we do not do it. The second is “Although it is not a sin in itself, would my doing this lead me into temptation and cause me to sin?” This is where we judge ourselves to determine how much we can handle. Would my dancing to disco music especially in a club arouse some passions in me that will lead me to sin? Or would my drinking wine (which by itself not a sin) lead me to get drunk (which is sin)?

The third question is “Would my doing this cause me to offend a weak brother so as to make him stumble?” Would a previous alcoholic whom I have just won to Christ and now sober be drawn to drunkenness again just seeing me drink a glass of wine which I may be able to handle? These are the matters dealt with in Romans 14 and Christian love drives any action we may take on these matters. I used to be very good at judging people’s commitment to Christ and their level of faith based on these disputable matters. I thank God for a renewed mind and deliverance from passing unnecessary judgments. Most of these matters are between us and God. One sure way for our Christian behavior is, when in doubt, do not do it. “23But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.” Romans 14:23

Live a little and give others a break. Let us be considerate of our brothers and sisters in Christ who are not yet where we may be. Of course, real Christian can dance but only to country music (just kidding).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!