Never Look Back Press Forward

Never Look Back Press Forward

As a student, I used to be good in Tracks and Field. One of the rules is never look back. Regardless of your position (first or even last) you never look back to see how far you have ran or who is coming behind. You only looked to the finish line and to wearing the winners crown or ribbon.

Apostle Paul reminds us of how he was running and ran the race of life. Listen to Paul:
“12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus”.

15 Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you. 16 Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule,[b] let us be of the same mind. Philippians 3: 12-16.

The context of the above is the desire of Paul to know Christ and be Christlike. He is saying, I am not there yet. I know Christ because of His perfect work on the Cross but I want to know Him more. I am becoming like Christ but I have not yet been perfected like Christ. That is my goal too. How about you? Let’s press on and forget what is behind and receive God’s grace to persevere in the present.

We must therefore lay aside every hindrance and run to Christ:
“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” Hebrews 12:1-2.

Like Paul what I fear most is thinking that I have arrived. A sense of ease and self confidence that I have it under control. It is the greatest temptation for the Child of God. You become pompous and arrogant and quickly forget that God saved you by grace and that the race is not yet over.
What did Paul forget? Successes in ministry, winning many to Christ, healing the sick and even raising the dead. Failures including persecution of the church and a record of a murderer. Yes we forget them and look forward unto Christ the author and finisher of our faith. “Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me”. We are wearing “His righteousness” by faith.

The failures and sins have been forgiven in Christ and He remembers them no more so why should we? We can learn from them as to keep running forward. The successes were accomplished in and thru Christ. We are not to get big heads from past successes and start running sluggishly or even stop running. Friend, we must press on toward the “upward call of God”. This place is not our home. It means giving up claims to our personal rights.

Remember Lot's wife? She looked back and turned into a pillar of salt. Let's be salt but in salt shakers that we may add taste and preservation to all around us as God shakes us for Himself. He will shake you and me. God’s refining fire is making us more like Christ; we are not “done” yet but will be “well done”.

My daughter Grace often sings the theme song from the movie "Frozen". "Let it go". Let it go whether successes or failures, let it go. Be it hurts and betrayal, let it go and keep on running and not paralyzed. Is it a relationship or business failure? Let it go and press on to Jesus.

You cannot run well when you are carrying a load of unforgiveness. The fuel to finish the race is the love of God that has been poured into our hearts. It says love your enemies and do good to those who spitefully use you. Imagine praying for the ones who have hurt you the most and eventually they turn around and turn to Christ. Imagine seeing them in heaven. I know it is too hard to imagine but that is how God sees you and me. Maturity means giving more grace to people and allowing room for God.

We hurt God so much and now we are going to spend eternity with Him? Impossible for us but with God all things are possible. Who do you have to forgive today and set yourself free to keep running?

Remember we are pressing on to knowing Christ and making Him known. We are becoming like Christ. Paul said “one thing I do”. Forget the past and reach forward to Christ for His daily grace. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!