My Legacy, Your Legacy?

Dear Saints,

What are you working hard to leave behind? We will all leave behind something after us. What is it for you and me?

 

The question is often answered with death in mind, and rightly so. But we do leave legacies in seasons of life, such as from one job to another, from child-rearing to empty nesting, from singleness to marriage, etc.

 

As we continue our study of 2 Peter, we encounter Peter reflecting on the urgency and reason for the legacy he is leaving behind for the suffering pilgrims. We must be doing the same as Apostle Peter.

 

Listen to Peter:

 

“12 Therefore, I will always remind you about these things—even though you already know them and are standing firm in the truth you have been taught. 13 And it is only right that I should keep on reminding you as long as I live. 14 For our Lord Jesus Christ has shown me that I must soon leave this earthly life,15 so I will work hard to make sure you always remember these things after I am gone.” 2 Peter 1:12-14.

 

Peter has previously told his audience these truths: You have received faith through grace that saved you and brought you to God through Christ. You have God’s divine power to live godly lives, and you must continue to grow in Christ and love all people as Christ has loved you. God has promised you a grand "entrance into the  everlasting kingdom of God."

 

Peter’s legacy is to remind the pilgrims and us of these truths. He said, “Even though you already know them and are standing firm in the truth you have been taught.” The stake (eternal destiny) is too high to be nonchalant about leaving a lasting legacy.

 

We must leave a legacy of truth. It’s not our truth but the truth of the word of God. And what is the truth, and who is the truth? Jesus said, “I am the truth.” Therefore, we must leave Christ behind us wherever we go.

 

What are you and I leaving behind as lasting legacies? Is it stocks and bonds, gossip, love, patience, self-control, half-truths which is no truth, or THE TRUTH? Only Truth and love will last forever.

 

Can someone say you encouraged them with the truth of the gospel? Have you pointed anyone to Christ the Savior? Can people summarize what you believe even when you are absent because they have repeatedly heard you repeat it? We all need reminders, so we must read the Bible daily and remind each other of God's truth and promises.

 

I still remember the repeated words of my headmaster in elementary school. He said, “The last days of a man [woman] is very tempting, and the end of everything is the most important.” It has stuck with me since childhood and is helpful to me now that I am much older and winding down but working hard. I want to finish well. How about you?

 

Peter got a revelation of his season of life. “For our Lord Jesus Christ has shown me that I must soon leave this earthly life, 15 so I will work hard to make sure you always remember these things after I am gone.” He is now an elderly Peter and not the snipping/Rambo-like Peter. He would soon die, and he is not afraid nor asking for sympathy. He loves the people he would soon leave behind.

 

Peter, however, is working hard to teach and remind his audience of the truth of Christ. What are you working hard for in this season of your life? Do you know what season you are in your job, marriage, singleness, health, etc.? Let us ask God for a revelation of our season.

 

When you and I understand our seasons, we prioritize impacting legacy and work hard toward it. From now on, what will you do differently to leave a lasting legacy of the truth?

 

Lord, thank you, for you are the truth. I embrace you as my truth, my way, and my life. Please reveal my season of life and help me live and leave you as my legacy to my children, neighbors, colleagues, friends, and the world. Thank you for your divine power to do so. Amen.

 

Who would you remind of God’s truth today? Pray for them, encourage them and tell them about Christ, the truth.

 

Do you know the truth in the person of Jesus Christ? If not, this is your invitation to confess your sins, repent, ask for forgiveness, and trust in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. May Christ fill you with the Holy Spirit to live for Him. Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!