Answering Your Critics - Study 9/1/11

Answering Your Critics

Have you ever been criticized? Well you are in good company with Apostle Paul and all of us. How do you answer your critics? Apostle Paul had answers. “My defense to those who examine me is this” (1 Corinthians 9:3). Like Paul, the proper answer is to look to the finish line and keep our eyes on Jesus who has called us. Paul did exactly that. Paul’s defense is to demonstrate with his own life example, the principle of exercising liberty with love (chapter 8). He could charge for the gospel, but he is not doing so but rather he has worked with his hand to support himself. “When I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ[b] without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel”.

Recall that there had been divisions in this Corinthian Church. Some were taking sides with Paul and others were for Apollos (see chapter 1). Paul has addressed the issue in chapter one for them to cut off the bickering and quarrelling and taking sides. He told them Jesus Christ is the one who died for them and He is the only one worth ruling for. Now in chapter 9 of this Letter, Paul zeroes in to answer his critics. We can learn from him the proper manner to answer our critics. It is good to be criticized as long as we understand where the critics are coming from. Constructive criticism should bring change in our character but more than anything, it should help us determine to make heaven. Listen to Paul. “I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified” 1 Corinthians 9:27. Is this our answer to our critics? May we gain discipline from every criticism.

A note of disclaim. Criticism can be painful especially when it is coming from the ones you love dearly. This was Paul’s case when he was being criticized by his “dear children”, the Corinthian Church. Hear Paul’s pain. “Are you not my work in the Lord?” (1 Corinthians 9:1). Are you and I going through rough times with the ones we love? Please take heart and press on to the end and do not be distracted by your critics.

1 Corinthians 9

1 Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 2 If I am not an apostle to others, yet doubtless I am to you. For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
3 My defense to those who examine me is this: 4 Do we have no right to eat and drink? 5 Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? 6 Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working? 7 Who ever goes to war at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk of the flock?

8 Do I say these things as a mere man? Or does not the law say the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.”[a] Is it oxen God is concerned about? 10 Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written, that he who plows should plow in hope, and he who threshes in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11 If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? 12 If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more?
Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? 14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

15 But I have used none of these things, nor have I written these things that it should be done so to me; for it would be better for me to die than that anyone should make my boasting void. 16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship. 18 What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ[b] without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel.

19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law,[c] that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God,[d] but under law toward Christ[e]), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as[f] weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Here are my observations in addition to the ones you may have:

1. Apostle Paul was struggling to reply to his critics. May be reluctantly. This is the case when one has examined his or her record. Granted we are not perfect, there are things we know we have done well and we should be some worth aware of them. Not so consciously so that we do not get big head and pride but to know that God is pleased. Chapter 9 is a continuation of chapter 8 on exercising liberty with others in mind and in love. Yes, I have right to do most things that are lawful (e.g. eating meat offered to idols) but I do not have do them if it will become a stumbling block to another believer.

2. Paul’s first answer is to defend his apostleship. “1 Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 2 If I am not an apostle to others, yet doubtless I am to you. For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord” vs.1-2. Basically he is saying the proof is in the pudding. Look at your changed lives. That is enough to prove my apostleship in addition to seeing the risen Jesus (one of the criteria for apostleship). I take from this that it really does not matter what we call ourselves as long as the lives we touch are being changed to the image of Christ by the power of the gospel.

3. Again Paul goes at length (vs. 4-23) to show with scripture his entitlement as an apostle to be supported and cared for by the church. He has however chosen not to go that route for one reason, 18 “What is my reward then? That when I preach the gospel, I may present the gospel of Christ[b] without charge, that I may not abuse my authority in the gospel” vs.18. There was abuse then and a greater abuse now. How about this: “The Lord has showed me that there are 100 people in this gathering who should give a $1000 each and fifty people who will give $500 each.” Sound familiar? This is just one of the tricks of the trade and the gimmickry that is going on now in churches worldwide to extort money from people. Of course there are genuine minister of the gospel that should be supported by the Church.

4. Paul ends his defense by stating his greatest desire and goal. “I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you”. He also states that he wants to make heaven by all means. “Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified” vs.26-27. He does not want to be one of the “Left Behind” characters. The certainty Paul’s is referring to is the finished work of Christ. He is the one who will present us to God and we will not be disqualified.

I share Paul’s goal. “Lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified”. The gospel of Christ will cost us time and some inconvenience but a soul saved cannot be priced. Have you become all things to all men that they may be saved? Paul is not referring to living a hypocritical life but sacrificing and stooping at the level where someone can hear the gospel? Let’s go out of our way to reach people for Christ.

Lord, help me exercise my rights in a way that will cause some to be saved from the impending destruction of sin. Lord, help me to be all things to all people in other to save them. Lord, help me to learn to exercise disciple of my body and bring it into subjection to obey Christ. Lord, grant me the wisdom and grace to answer my critics graciously. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!