The Lord's Supper or Communion - Study 9/22/11

The Lord’s Supper or Communion

There are two great ordinances of the Church that Jesus left with us. Water baptism is one and the other is the partaking of communion with the saints of God. Water baptism is an act of obedience and identification with the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. We all can debate the proper method of baptism but the word itself comes from the root word, immersion. This is why many and even Jesus himself was immersed, dipped into the water and then brought up. However you choose to do it, as a true believer in Christ we must be baptized. Baptism is not the basis of salvation because water baptism would not save anyone from sin otherwise all who can swim and go under water would claim salvation. We get baptized once and it is not a routine practice like the Holy Communion.

The Lord’s Supper is a special occasion which we are encouraged to do as often as we can. How should we partake and what are the conditions for partaking? Apparently, the Corinthian Church was not partaking properly and some may have even “died” partaking unworthily. “A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep” 1 Corinthians 11:28-30. This is one meal that could kill you both spiritually and physically if taken unworthily. The warning does not mean we should refrain but to joyfully participate.

Unforgiveness comes to the top as one of the reasons why we may have to skip the Lord’s Supper especially when the other party is parking with us. Can we forgive and let us eat worthily the communion of the Lord. Is there someone you need to forgive today? Not forgiving will led to our being weak, sick and even to death. Let it go please you are the one suffering. Christ forgave us and that is what the Lord’s Supper is remembering and celebrating.

1 Corinthians 11:17-34

17 In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. 18 In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it. 19 No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God’s approval. 20 When you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat, 21 for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk. 22 Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? Certainly not!

23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

27 Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31 But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. 32 When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

33 So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for each other. 34 If anyone is hungry, he should eat at home, so that when you meet together it may not result in judgment. And when I come I will give further directions.

Here are my observations in addition to the ones you may have.

1. Apostle Paul has no praise for the Corinthians for what is going on in connection with the observance of the Communion ordinance. “I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good” vs.17. It is all related to what he had addressed in chapter one, the divisions and quarrels among the Corinthian Church. “In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it” vs.18.There is no place for divisions in the body of Christ because Christ cannot be divided.

2. What exactly was the Corinthian Church doing? Apparently, they combined the Lord’s Supper with a love feast where everyone brought food for all to eat. The rich and well to do brought so much for themselves and would have their fill and then whatever was left was given to those who did not bring much or who brought nothing. Instead of a love feast, it became a “shame feast”. “When you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat, 21 for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk. 22 Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing?” vs.20-22. Some even got drunk. What a church service. There was also humiliation of the poor, the very ones they were to take care of. Paul is saying this is the opposite of what the gathering is for.

3. What is the Lord’s Supper or Holy Communion as some refer to it? “The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes” vs.23-26. Paul is passing on what he received from the other apostles who were with Jesus (See Matthew 26:26-30). It is a practical symbol. There is the bread and the wine (just don’t get drunk) or juice which ever you choose. Some use crackers or whole bread. It really does not matter. It can be combined with a love feast or what we know as “potluck” dinners.

4. So what that we break bread and drink some juice/wine. Well, we are remembering our new covenant of grace we now have through the sacrificial death of our Lord and Savior. This is the greatest feast and celebration we can have on this side of eternity. The only thing we have going for us is God’s grace which has made us “blameless”. Paul had already written the Corinthians about it. 4 “I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 5 For in him you have been enriched in every way—in all your speaking and in all your knowledge— 6 because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. 7 Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. 8 He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful” 1 Corinthians 1: 4-9.

5. We therefore must examine ourselves before we partake of the Holy Communion. Everyone is called to examine not just some people. We examine our motives and actions especially regarding our relationships in the family, at the church and every other relationship. The question is, “Are my applying and granting the same grace I have received from Christ to others? Are my having everyone and insisting that everyone pay me back and to undo every wrong committed against me. Are my discerning or recognizing the body of Christ? “For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself” vs. 29. This means to know that another believer is part of the body of Christ therefore I should not treat him or her less than I would treat Christ in person. Only you can make this determination and I believe the Holy Spirit will always speak to us regarding these matters. It is up to me to obey his voice and do what is right.

6. Notice that Scripture is silent on any special title for the observance of this ordinance. The Holy Communion is available to any body of believers and can be done at anytime and anywhere (home, church, school, work, picnic etc). It can be done as often as we want, monthly, weekly, daily or periodically as we choose. I would tend to prefer the more often as instructed. You do not need a “pastor” or “deacon” to have the Lord’s Supper. Let’s us not make religion out of it rather it is a celebration of our RELATIONSHIP with CHRIST.

Have you checked lately why you may be “weak, sick or about to die”? May we examine ourselves and partake in a worthy manner, the bread and cup of the Lord Jesus Christ. Are you struggling to forgive some one? Let’s ask for help to work through the issues. We do not have any other choice but to forgive as Christ forgave us.

Lord Jesus, I thank you for your death and resurrection on my behalf. I thank you for taking all my sins on you and bearing them to the cross where I have been forgiven. I rejoice in what you have done for me and for all believers in you. I pray that you help me to examine myself. “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; 24 And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting” (Psalm 139:23-24). Lord, help me to forgive all who have sinned against me and help me to ask for forgiveness from all that I have sinned against. Help me to treat your body (other believers in Christ) right and with grace and may I begin at home. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Legacy, Your Legacy?

The Day of The Lord - Judgment & Righteousness

Be One Of The Shepherds - Merry Christmas!